Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dazzling Delights to Dismal Sameness

After a half hour bus ride to the American Library, a stop at a little tiny (4 tables) bakery/deli for a bite. Using croissant dough for the top, then ham and a combination of warm cheese and mustard with a crispy bottom crust. It's the first time I ever ignored the ham and scraped out the cheesey mustard. 





Wandering through the neighborhood, I looked over and saw this beautiful building.

The front door was especially lovely. I wish I'd had a tripod to steady the camera.
The intricate art worked in the door with animals was breath taking.

I thought the Eiffel Tower was close by, then I turned away from the beautiful door and there is was.


A few block walk to the river Seine and there were boats for riding around town. 14E (euros) $22.50 to ride, getting on and off at will.

Seriously? Yes, a Mississippi paddle boat on the French river Seine. It seemed so out of place...


The one thing they don't mention when getting on the boat... there are no 'facilities.' Additional liquids like Coke are for sale though. Just step right up and insert your euros. I rode the boat up the river (or down maybe?) until I finally had to find some facilities. I asked the person who blared out each stop in three languages, "Toilette?" She gestured vaguely but could speak no Anglaise. I hopped off the bateau (boat) and followed a group of children on a field trip. Surely they would know. Fields of poppies, herb gardens, vegetable gardens, an iris garden, a zoo, a natural history museum, and on I trudged asking Toilette, Toy let? Non, non in the park. 'Merci,' I said. MERCY, I thought! Finally, 




I saw a McDonalds. Surely nestled behind their processed food... Yes. a toilette. The dismal sameness struck me as I entered the door of the 'toilette.' How can a multi-billion dollar business have bathrooms around the world dismal, dirty and the French version? Seat covers but No seat. I want to leave you with an upbeat thought, the poppies were beautiful.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what it is about French bathrooms. Even on the trains, they are dismal. But the French people we have known are all clean as a whistle. Or maybe it is that we Americans are just too fussy! Carry your own seat covers, work your thigh muscles for the holes in the floor, and carry your own hand cleaner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, it is a delight to read your blog and ~ mon dieu! quelle porte!!

    Jusqua la semaine prochaine!!

    ReplyDelete