Sunday, May 1, 2011

On the road and into the air...

I've been getting ready to go to Paris for a year now.


 Advice I thought I took: Exercise, exercise, walk, walk.


Nobody told me I'd have to schlep my bag up 50 stairs at the Seattle Airport. I traveled light, but not light enough! 13 pounds in one hand and 29 pounds in the other gave me more than a work out.  Looks of dismay from fellow travelers reminded me I must have been saying all the four letter words I practiced as I exercised over the last year. Oh, did I mention I don't much care for exercising unless it's holding a fork and bending my elbow.


Seattle Airport has secret signage for directions to the International terminal. Finally I was rescued by a nice young woman who knew how to do it. She smiled as she heard me mutter something about mothers. She laughed and asked if I needed help. Such a sweet ol thing I am... 


I was anticipating my seat coo (sp). I logged in to Icelandair precisely 36 hours before departure and managed to capture the exit aisle seat by the door. A much coveted seat! I should have been leery when there was NO good review of that airline. When I boarded the plane I found my 'coveted' seat was wrongly advertised and it was behind the row reserved for economy comfort flyers with the exit aisle seat. Not only that but there was a curtain between classes that blew in my face throughout the trip. I finally grabbed the curtain and jammed it between the luxury seat in front of me. Satisfaction comes in very small things. I did have two lovely seatmates who had also upgraded themselves into misery. 


More later...











2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your travel stairs! It all sounds like hard work! Tell us about the Iceland stop!

    Happy Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exciting...enjoying your posts so far. Air travel is no longer the "experience" it once was, now it is a glorified cattle-car. But the end will justify the means, I hope. Paris in May. Glorious!

    ReplyDelete