Monday, May 2, 2011

Walk to trudge...

Before I begin the 'walk' I thought you might like a peak at Iceland. It's named Iceland for a very good reason. I only caught glimpses through the airplane window and it was covered with snow. It looks more like a large island.


The pilot thumped it down on to the runway with an abrupt stop. Good thing too as the runway didn't look all that long and icy snow covered both sides. The airport reminded me of a luxury bunker, all concrete, wood and glass. We were herded off the plane and into the bunker and up more stairs to the security check even though it was just a plane change.


A huge percentage of Icelanders must depend on airport security for a job. Most of them were on duty outnumbering passengers or so it seemed. 


Being an aged traveler I had cleverly put my money in my sandals under my orthodics. Pick pocket proof! As I was going through security in my Ambien induced stupor, the agent stopped me. He pointed to my sandal in the plastic tub and asked, "What's that?" "Huh?" was my brilliant response. Pointing again, "What's that?" "Oh, ahh, money." Then he asked, "How deep is that pocket?" I thought, oh shit he's gonna say, "up against the wall and spread 'em." In a near panic I fumbled the orthodic out of the sandal and showed him. He said, "Better find a better place for your money."  Whew, I jammed the money in my pocket and stumbled away with my heart pounding. Iceland might be cold and snowy, but they were polite and didn't seem interested in putting an aged traveler in jail. 


On my first day in Paris I thought a walk would be good. Even though it ended in a trudge with feet aching, it was Paris...


Garden along a canal near the Bastille



























Add caption
The bateau (boat) looks so charming and inviting until I realized my feet wouldn't fit, no standing upright, I'd have to steer with my tongue while laying flat on the roof. But, oh so charming.



There are so many pictures of Notre Dame Cathedral itself. Looking up I realized the line of statues about half way were very clever. Each one has a different expression on his face (no women).This fellow is on the corner of the church high above the crowds. I expected him to start talking then I remembered this is Paris, the real Paris, not Las Vegas. More walk and trudge to come...























Posted by Picasa

2 comments: